For what we need all these C-Series Hacks?
May be you are wondering why there are so many Hacks to get root access to your Samsung TV. Let's try to give a short overwiew here.
Feel free to make corrections to this page but try to Keep It Short and Simple
(sentence stolen from How to get root access on a C series TV;-)
Modern Samsung TV firmware consist of two components:
- an embedded Linux with a limited command set as basic operation system
- dsp.exe running on a Digital Signal Processor for all Televison related stuff
All Root Hacks try to modify the builtin Linux to run commands on your request. Most Hacks inject a modified usb_hotlug.sh script excuting a script if an USB Storage Device is plugged in.
You find a quick overview of working Root Hacks for you TV Model at the Compatibility Table.
Wikipedia Article - spread the word
Type of Root Hack
All C-Series Root Hacks are a variant of two Hack Types:
- Internet@TV and
- Universal USB Hack Disc.
Installing a modified Firmware is not possible on C-Series.
- This Hack works by loading a modified USA-Today Widget from a Webserver to Internet@TV. The modified Widget copy a script named usb_hotlug.sh from a prepared USB-Stick to your TV.
- After following one of the many tutorials from The C-Series Wiki you can execute Linux commands on your TV by placing a script named run.sh in the root of an USB-Stick. The script will run every time you plug in the USB-Stick to your TV while Powered On (hotplug). It will NOT run if the stick is plugged while you Power On TV (coldplug)!
- If you want more features, i.e. console access or mounting network shares, you have to Integrate SamyGO.
Note: This type of Hack may not work with a firmware newer than 3005.1
Universal USB Hack Disc
- This Hack, also known as Hack over Hotel Mode, is more than a simple Root Hack. The Universal USB Hack Disc gives you a webinterface with a channel list editor, full telnet and FTP access plus many additional commands and services like apache with php, cron, SMB and NFS, if you have an USB-Stick plugged.
- If you place a script named SamyGO.sh in the root of an USB-Stick, it is executed every time you plug in the USB-Stick or you Power On TV while the Stick is plugged (Hot- and coldplug). Additionally the script runonce.sh is executed once if the USB-Stick is plugged while Power On TV (coldplug).
- Rooting over Hotel Mode
- Rooting over Hotel Mode is done via a typical design flaw:
- Importing Files without checking the content of the imported Files.
- First Part: An exported Channel List is a ZIP archive. If you add a file or directory to it you will find them in the folder /mtd_rwarea after importing the Channel List. This is used to create the directory usb_mount on TV by adding it to an Channel List and import the modified List.
- The second part of the Root Hack is done as symlink attack while importing Hotel Mode Setting. you need a modified clone.dat and some linux scripts. Importing the modified clone.dat and scripts as Hotel Mode Settings result in the excecution of the scripts. You find more details in the C-Series Forum.
- The Universal USB Hack Disc contain precompiled versions of clone.dat and scripts for most firmwares. To Hack the TV copy the your original Hotel Mode Settings to the Folder /HotelMode on the USB-Stick and import the modiefied clone.dat.
Hack Feature Comparison List Hack hotplug coldplug interactive
Prerequisite Generic Internet@TV run.sh - via SamyGo - run.sh USB-Stick, Linux, Webserver, Widget, hotplug.sh Internet@TV Only run.sh - via SamyGo - run.sh USB-Stick, Webserver, Widget Hack over Hotel Mode
Universal USB Hack Disk
telnet webinterface, channel editor, Busybox, FTP, SMB, NFS, cron SamyGO.sh USB-Stick, Channel List, Hotel Mode; Universal Hack Disc SamyGO extension - - SSH Busybox, Kernel Modules, virtual USB, Webserver, PHP, FTP, SMB, NFS ... see above SamyGo for your TV
(klick on firmware name)
ToDo Create StartScript
ToDo Use Hack Autostart Feature